Convenience in your hands
What is an international debit card?
International debit cards (or VISA debit cards) are commonly used for payment when travelling, studying, working abroad or shopping online. They have all the functions of a domestic debit card like cash withdrawal, money transfer and viewing account balance. However, while the domestic ones can only make payments domestically, international debit cards can be used worldwide for payments in shops or online.
An international debit card is directly linked to your current account. That means the money on the international debit card is your own, and you can use the card to withdraw, make payments and transfer from your account balance. Debit cards do not allow cardholders to spend first, pay later or make instalment payments like credit cards. You should consider the differences between both card types to choose the right card for yourself.
HSBC VISA debit cards have many features helping you make convenient, safe and secure payments like 3D secure OTP or contactless payments. Also, HSBC cardholders can get many offers and privileges from HSBC and VISA.
Fast and convenient
- Make online purchases, local & overseas point-of-sale (POS) easily with contactless technology
- No need to carry cash with daily purchase limit up to VND 100 million
- Enjoy great discounts from home&Away and Privilege Club offers
- Free of first card issuance
- Receive fund transfer quickly via Visa network, with only your debit card number
- Non Face-To-Face Debit card opening for Vietnamese customers applying payroll account
Easy cash access
- Free of charge for cash withdrawals at HSBC ATMs in Vietnam
- Daily ATM cash withdrawal limit up to VND 20 million
- Worldwide access to ATMs with VISA/PLUS® logo
- Your card never has to leave your hand when making a payment at readers with contactless features. Please refer to Debit Card Limits (PDF, 515 KB).
- High security with chip card technology and 3D Secure (SMS OTP)
- SMS Alert Service provides you with accurate, instant alerts about your transactions on Debit Card and Accounts Linked To Card
- Service to turn on/off Online transactions and Overseas POS transactions
Check how to make contactless payments with HSBC Debit Card and enjoy our new service now
- Step 1: the Contactless symbol and the Visa logo are shown at card reader if merchants accept card payment with Contactless Feature.
- Step 2: To pay, tap/wave your card on the card reader at close range (less than 4cm from where the Contactless logo appears).
- Step 3: Your transaction is confirmed by the illumination of the green indicator light.
- Step 4: Check the receipt and the transaction is completed.
Things you should know
How to apply
- Simply open a VND Current or Savings account at one of HSBC branches/ transaction offices.
- Request for an HSBC Debit Card when completing the Account Opening Form, or fill out the HSBC Debit Card form if you already have a VND account. (Please be noted that you have to comply all current requirements of the bank for debit card issuance)
- A new Debit Card instantly and the default PIN will be issued by the Bank if all requirements of debit card issuance is satisfied
How to activate HSBC Debit card
Please choose one of two options to activate your HSBC Debit Card:
Option 1: Send SMS from your registered phone number to 8066 with syntax: HSBC_KHDC_last 4 digits of the Card number_last 6 characters of ID/Passport
- “_” is a space. Example : HSBC KHDC 1234 098765
- Apply for Mobifone, Vinaphone, Viettel, Vietnamobile, 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday
- SMS fee: VND 1,000/SMS
Option 2: Perform transaction at any ATM having VISA/PLUS® logo with PIN (24/7)
How to receive HSBC Debit card PIN
Need more advice?
Contact HSBC online
Use our online form and we shall contact you soon.