HSBC Debit Card with Contactless Fuction FAQ
1. What is Contactless function?
Contactless function is a Contactless payment feature that allows cardholders to make a purchase by simply tapping their HSBC debit card with Contactless function onto a Contactless enabled payment terminal.
Contactless Card has an embedded antenna in the plastic so that when it is used at a Contactless terminal, it securely transmits purchase information to and from the Contactless terminal.
2. How does Contactless technology benefit me?
Using a Contactless card is a quicker and a more convenient way to make purchases. Just tap to pay:
- Contactless speeds up the time it takes to make a payment.
- Your card never has to leave your hand when making a payment at the reader with specific amount per transaction (please refer Debit Card Limits (PDF, 177.4KB))
- You will have a record of all your everyday purchases on your card statement and instant SMS notification message when making payment by your card (if you already registered the SMS alert service with Bank)
3. How do I know if my HSBC Debit Card has Visa Contactless payment function?
If your debit card is enabled with the Contactless payment function, there will be a Contactless symbol on your card.
4. How can I get a HSBC Debit Card with Contactless function?
Visa Contactless payment function will be a standard feature for newly issued HSBC Debit Cards from 1st Jun 2020
- For existing cardholders, this will be available when their existing Debit Cards are renewed or reissued due to lost or damage as per the above mentioned schedule.
- If you are an existing cardholder and wish to enjoy this feature now, you may request for card replacement (replacement fee is applied per tariff) by calling our hotline or coming to nearest HSBC Branch to request.
5. How do I use my HSBC Debit Card?
Use HSBC Debit Card with Contactless function
You can use the Visa Contactless function at retailers inside and outside of Vietnam with payment terminals that display the Contactless symbol and the Visa logo.
- Tap the reader with your HSBC debit card with Contactless function.
- Confirm successful payment when you see the green light on the terminal and hear the beep.
Use HSBC Debit Card with Contact function
In case the retailers do not support Contactless payment method, you can use HSBC debit card with normal contact function by chip or magnetic stripe.
- You can use the HSBC debit card at retailers inside and outside of Vietnam with payment terminals that display the Visa logo.
- When using chips, your card will be inserted into the card reader slot. Confirm successful payment when you see the green light on the terminal and hear the beep. For extra security you may occasionally be asked to enter your PIN.
- When using the magnetic stripe, the card will be swipe in the direction from the beginning to the end of the card reading slot. Confirm successful payment when you see the green light on the terminal and hear the beep.
6. Is there a transaction limit for purchases made via HSBC Debit Card with Contactless function?
Yes. The transaction limit for purchases made via Contactless feature will be based on limit matrix per transaction and per day. (please refer Debit Card Limits (PDF, 177.4KB))
7. Is Visa Contactless technology secure?
Yes. Contactless uses the latest secure encryption technology (same as Chip and PIN) so you can feel confident when using it to pay for items. In addition, you are encouraged to use SMS notification service in order to manage transactions and please call our Contact Center immediately when you received suspicious transaction alert.
8. Could I unknowingly make a purchase as I walk past a reader?
No. Contactless Feature is designed to ensure that the cardholder is always in control. The retailer must have entered the amount for you to approve first, and then your card has to be held in very close proximity to the card reader (within 4 centimeters) in order for a transaction to take place. Terminals can also only process one payment transaction at a time.
9. Is there any chance that payments may be taken twice from my account?
No. Contactless card reader are only able to make one transaction at a time. As a safeguard, each transaction must be completed before another can take place.
10. Can I request to turn off contactless payment function?
No. You cannot request to turn off contactless payment function. In case, you do not want to use contactless function, you can use HSBC Debit Card with normal contact function by chip or magnetic stripe for instead.
SMS Notification Service FAQ
SMS notification service is applicable for customer who currently has an active HSBC Debit Card. To newly register/ re-register this service, please follow one of these following options:
- Call our Contact Center (numbers printed on the back of your card or provided on our public website)
- Send a request via Internet Banking by choosing “Help & support” ->“Secure messages” under “Contact us”-> “Send us a message” -> Choose the subject “Register/suppress debit card SMS alert”.
It will take 5 working days to proceed the valid request with full information as required.
For transaction account: SMS alerts are provided for any credit and debit transactions to only your accounts linked with HSBC Debit card except for cash withdrawal/cash deposits on account made via Credit Card. For any bank charges/Interest/Standing instruction/Loan repayment transactions from these accounts, SMS might be sent to you at midnight period.
For Debit card: SMS alerts are provided for all local and foreign retail purchases successfully made at merchants, online transactions, MOTO-mail orders, telephone orders and both ATM withdrawals & deposits
3. Do I have to pay for this SMS Notification service?
For Premier Customers: No. This service is provided free of charge for your HSBC Visa Platinum Debit Card for your banking convenience and enhanced security as part of your Premier benefits. However if you do hold a HSBC Debit Card and decide to opt into the SMS service, annual fee for this service will be charged as per the prevailing tariff (PDF, 279.8KB).
For Personal Banking Customers: Yes. We offer a competitive fee which is charged as per the prevailing tariff (PDF, 279.8KB).
4. Is this service available 24 hours?
Yes. An SMS alert will be broadcasted within 1-3 minutes whenever a successful transaction is made via your transactional account and Debit card.
5. Why did I receive SMS transaction alert when I did not make any transaction?
If you received an SMS alert for a transaction you suspect that it is not done by you, please contact us IMMEDIATELY by calling our Contact center operating 24/7 for this request (numbers printed on the back of your card or provided on our public website).
If you received an SMS alert when your card is lost, please block your card(s) immediately to avoid any further misused transactions by calling our Contact Center operating 24/7 (numbers provided on our public website)
6. What is the minimum transaction amount I have to make in order to receive this SMS transaction alert?
No minimum transaction amount. Whenever you make a successful transaction via your linked account or HSBC Debit Card which is mentioned in Question #2, SMS alert message will be sent.
7. If I have made a transaction in foreign currency, will the SMS alert show the transaction in local currency or in that particular foreign currency?
For transaction made on transaction account: you will receive the SMS indicating the amount spent in the currency of that particular account.
For transaction made on Debit card: you will receive the SMS indicating the amount spent in that particular foreign currency.
8. If I am overseas, is SMS transaction alert still sent to my registered phone number?
SMS Alert can be sent to Vietnam or even international mobile phone number if this number is already registered with our bank. If you use Vietnam mobile phone number, please make sure roaming service is turned on when you are abroad. Service charges may be applied by your mobile network provider. It depends on each country/region, the sender ID may be displayed as "HSBC" or just numeric only.
9. I have a joint account, how will the SMS alerts affect us?
Since SMS notification service is only applicable for customer who currently has an active HSBC Debit card, the service will be available for the joint account with operation method of “Either to sign”.
For transaction made on Debit card: each cardholder will receive SMS alerts to the mobile number for transactions made using that Debit card unless you have individually opted out of the service.
For transaction made on joint transaction account: all joint account holders will receive SMS alerts for any credit and debit transactions made to the joint account. If either of the joint account holder request to opt out of the service, SMS alert will be stopped for the joint account.
10. Why did not I receive SMS transaction alert?
An SMS alert will be sent to customer's registered mobile phone within 1-3 minutes after a transaction on your account or card is processed. SMS message delivery may be delayed or failed in some circumstances beyond the Bank's control as it depends on your Network Service Providers. If after 3 minutes, the alert message is still not delivered to your registered mobile phone number, please check the following:
- Did you change your mobile phone number recently? If yes, please make sure your new mobile number is already updated in the Bank's records. You can request to update new mobile phone number by calling our Contact Center (numbers printed on the back of your card or provided on our public website) or sending the request via Internet Banking or visiting the nearest HSBC Branch/ Transaction Office.
- Have you opted into SMS notification service before? If no, please call our Contact Center (numbers printed on the back of your card or provided on our public website) or contact HSBC via Personal Internet Banking to register this service (Please refer information in Question #1 for instruction details)
- Have you opted out of SMS notification service before? If yes, please call our Contact Center (numbers printed on the back of your card or provided on our public website) or contact HSBC via Personal Internet Banking to re-register this service (Please refer information in Question #1 for instruction details)
If the answer is "No" for all above questions, please call our Contact center (numbers printed on the back of your card or provided on our public website) for assistance.